As a researcher, you have unique needs for your website. As a researcher myself, I can help to meet your needs, and inspire you to think about using your website in ways you never considered.
I build websites using WordPress, an open-source content management system (CMS) that is now the underlying software of 27% of all websites. WordPress is popular because it is powerful for designers and developers while being easy to use for average users. It allows me to make a website that is attractive and effective in communicating to visitors. And it is simple enough that you will be able to add new content after we’re doing working together.
Curious what the process of getting a new website looks like? Well, it usually lasts between 1-2 months and looks something like this:
- Initial contact: You get in touch and we set up a time to discuss your needs.
- Proposal: If we seem like a good fit for each other, I write up a proposal for our work together, based on our initial conversation.
- Contract: We finesse the proposal until we both are happy and then sign a contract to work together.
- Questionnaire: I send you a client questionnaire, allowing you to go into further depth in explaining what your goals are for the new website, your design preferences, and more.
- First draft/mockups: Based on everything you’ve told me, I put together a first draft of the website, either by doing a mockup (i.e. a series of images that visually demonstrates my plans for the website) or by doing a first draft of the website itself. I post this on a test server for you to see.
- Feedback: You provide feedback on the first draft/mockup.
- Second draft: I incorporate your feedback and put together a second draft of the website.
- Feedback: You provide feedback on the second draft.
- Final changes: I make any final changes, based on the second round of feedback.
- Testing: I do a series of tests (e.g. testing the website on various browsers) to ensure that everything will work correctly when the site is deployed.
- Launch: I upload the website to your server and it is launched into the world!
I also help my clients in related areas that go beyond the design and development of their website. For instance, I help them with:
- Content strategy: Not sure what to put on your website? I can help you come up with ways to most effectively communicate who you are and what you do.
- Social media integration: Want to have your updates show up on LinkedIn automatically? That’s just one example of the ways I can help you to connect your website and your social media presence.
- Domain registration: Need a domain for your website? I’ll help you identify an effective one and get it registered.
- Website hosting: Your website needs a place to live online and for that you need a website host. I can help you choose one that meets your needs and fits within your budget.
- Website maintenance: Like anything valuable, your website has to be maintained. Without regular updates, your website runs the risk of being hacked and your content lost. Don’t want to deal with the updates? I can do it for you.
- Training: Want to learn how to do at least some of this yourself? I show all of my clients how to update their websites after they have launched.