In November 2016, voters in Oregon passed Ballot Measure 99, which authorizes the use money from the state lottery to pay for a week-long Outdoor School experience for 5th and 6th grade students.
The Gray Family Foundation, a supporting organization of the Oregon Community Foundation, has long supported Outdoor School. Throughout 2017, I conducted a large-scale baseline assessment of over 1100 schools in Oregon to answer the following questions (and many more):
- How many schools participate?
- How many students participate and in which grades?
- How many days and nights do programs last?
- Which camps do schools attend?
- How familiar are schools with Measure 99?
The final report included many unique data visualizations, including several maps to demonstrate geographic disparities in Outdoor School participation.
I also provided the Gray Family Foundation with an interactive map, developed in Tableau, that allows users to explore data on Outdoor School participation.